Así engañó Anglo Irish Bank a Irlanda: "Me saqué la cifra del rescate del ojo ciego"

Solo los usuarios registrados pueden ver el contenido de este tema, mientras tanto puedes ver el primer y el último mensaje de cada página.

Regístrate gratuitamente aquí para poder ver los mensajes y participar en el foro. No utilizaremos tu email para fines comerciales.

Únete al mayor foro de economía de España

Última edición:
Solo los usuarios registrados pueden ver el contenido de este tema, mientras tanto puedes ver el primer y el último mensaje de cada página.

Regístrate gratuitamente aquí para poder ver los mensajes y participar en el foro. No utilizaremos tu email para fines comerciales.

Última edición:

Me sorprente la poca atención que está recibiendo este hilo, porque el caso es serio - estamos hablando de como los banqueros (y otras hierbas, como esos que andan escribiendo "Nosotros, los mercados", "Somos necesarios porque proporcionamos liquidez", etc) se consideraban (y lo siguen haciendo) ya no por encima de la mayoría de los ciudadanos, sino de los propios políticos... Me está recordando mucho a la entrevista de Bob Diamond tuteando a los parlamentarios británicos. No me extraña que el gobierno chino haya acabado hasta los narices de la toma de poder del shadow banking y haya mandado un mensaje de aviso, clarificando que en China mandan ellos, y que no les gusta la competencia.

En fin, a lo que venía: No se vayan todavía, uno y más:
Drumm said he would
Drumm said he would ‘punch’ Lenihan
Tapes reveal attitudes towards key figures in the banking collapse

image.jpg

David Drumm, ex-chief executive of Anglo Irish Bank: ‘I don’t think he [Lenihan] gets it’. Photograph: Josh Reynolds

Colin Gleeson

Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 08 :25
First published: Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 00:00

Anglo Irish Bank chief executive David Drumm said he would “punch” then minister for finance Brian Lenihan in a bid to secure funding for the distressed lender.

The remark was made by Mr Drumm during a conversation with head of treasury John Bowe on December 15th, 2008.

“I’ll probably punch him [Lenihan],” he said.

“And I miccionan punch him, as if to say ‘what are you actually doing? What’s this about having to go through due diligence? You made that decision on the 29th of September. You’ve told the f**kin’ world we’re all solvent.’

“‘Now can you protect your hundred billion guarantee of us by writing a two or three billion cheque and get on with it.’ So my goal tomorrow is to get that through to [Lenihan].”

The two executives then acknowledge that this would be “the cheapest cheque” the taxpayer would have to write for the bank.

Mr Drumm mimics how he plans to speak to Mr Lenihan at the meeting: “ ‘Do you understand? Can I teach you just one piece?’ Not in that language, obviously, but can I teach you one piece of banking here?’

“‘When you’ve guaranteed somebody’s entire liabilities, it is smart to write a very small cheque to stop them being called. Which bit of that don’t you get?’ I don’t think he gets it.”

‘Systemic importance’

Mr Drumm said in another recording it was “confirmed unequivocally” at a meeting with Department of Finance secretary general Kevin Cardiff that Anglo was of “systemic importance” to the banking sector.

The tapes – which were published in yesterday’s edition of the Sunday Independent – also detail a conversation between Mr Bowe and the bank’s chief financial officer Matt jovenlandesan during which they talk about how difficulties are not limited to their own institution.

“What is exercising Bank [of Ireland] more than anything else is why they’re being beaten up more than Allied [Irish Banks],” Mr Bowe said.

“They think that Allied have played fast and loose with lending money to every cowboy in town – apart from ourselves also lending money to every cowboy in town – they think they’ve been the sensible bankers and the market just doesn’t get it,” Mr Bowe added.

Quinn

The executives also talk about the troubles of then-billionaire businessman Seán Quinn and are heavily critical of his affairs.

“He’s down just over a bill [€1 billion],” Mr Bowe said to Mr jovenlandesan. “Anybody even f**king listening to that. It is frightening.”

“The market is bigger than any man. It is the great leveller,” Mr jovenlandesan replied. “Yeah, it is, isn’t it?” Mr Bowe said.

Mr jovenlandesan then said: “You stupid c**t [Quinn]. He really put us at risk.”

Discussing Irish Nationwide Building Society with an unnamed English fund manager, Mr Bowe said he didn’t know whether the troubled lender’s chief executive Michael Fingleton “gets it” in terms of the crisis his institution was embedded in. The fund manager says he has met management at Irish Nationwide and that “things are terrifying” there. “If you’re asking me does Mr Fingleton get it, I don’t know,” said Mr Bowe. “I really don’t know. You know the guy is in his 70s.”

In a separate recording, Mr Bowe tells Mr jovenlandesan that Anglo officials would bring “good governance” to Irish Nationwide in the event of a merger. It is also claimed in the tapes published on Saturday that the last government allegedly went against advice from Merrill Lynch to nationalise Anglo Irish Bank immediately.

In a conversation between Mr Drumm and another Anglo executive in December 2008, Mr Drumm said financial consultants Merrill Lynch had “signed a death warrant” for the “basket case” bank and wanted it nationalised immediately.

President tells of nation
President tells of nation’s shock at Anglo tapes
Higgins says institutional greed revealed doesn’t reflect core values of Irish people

Stephen Collins

Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 01:01
First published: Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 01:01

President Michael D Higgins has told the world of the shock and dismay of the Irish people at the “voices from the past” heard on the Anglo tapes over the past week.

Speaking at the community garden party at Áras an Uachtaráin yesterday, he said he had often referred to the terrible damage inflicted on Irish society by the aggressive individualism and self-interest of a speculative economy.

“This week, voices from the past have been heard which serve to highlight behaviours and attitudes at the very root of that failed economic model. They do not make for easy listening,” he said.

“But let us be certain of one thing: these are not the voices of the people of Ireland. The attitudes they reveal are not shared by the people of Ireland. The behaviours they reflect are not characteristic of the people of Ireland,” he said.

The Anglo revelations have attracted attention abroad especially in Germany. According to a report in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, the governor of the Central Bank, Patrick Honohan, threatened the former Anglo executives with a prohibition and fines dependent on the outcome of the Garda investigation.

Shocked and dismayed

President Higgins said the people of Ireland were shocked and dismayed that a culture of greed and recklessness emerged in some of our institutions, a culture which was not in keeping with our core values as a nation.

“The Irish people, who are rightly recognised for their fortitude, work ethic and courage, will take us out of this present crisis. The authentic voice, spirit and values of Ireland will be restored.”

Mr Higgins said informed foreign opinion would recognise that the real story from Ireland was not the aberrant voices heard last week but the heroism of its people who were determined, not only to get through this crisis, but to secure a future that was just, prosperous and sustainable.

Also yesterday, Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin said the leading politicians and officials who dealt with the banking collapse should be able to give evidence at an Oireachtas inquiry in the autumn.

The Minister rejected the view of former Director of Public Prosecutions James Hamilton that it would be “very foolish” to embark on an inquiry before criminal trials against leading bankers took place.

‘Separate processes’

“These are two completely separate processes. A narrow range of individuals will face criminal charges,” he said. “As far as we know, those involved in political decision-making or oversight of the banking system did not commit criminal actions, but they took decisions which were ruinous in their impact. We have to establish what happened to ensure it never happens again.”

He said it was envisaged an inquiry would be broken up into modules with a short time frame for each. “There is no reason why the principals involved at Government, official and regulatory level should not be able to give evidence to an inquiry immediately it is established in the autumn.”

The Minister added that he was open to the suggestion that the referendum to increase the powers of Oireachtas committees could be rerun as early as next year. However, any such referendum could not delay the banking inquiry, legislation for which was to be enacted within weeks.

Mr Hamilton said evidence produced in an inquiry could be used by those accused of criminal offences to claim they could not get a fair trial.

Drumm says bank guarantee not sought - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 01, 2013
Drumm says bank guarantee not sought

Former Anglo chief executive claims Irish public being ‘misled’ by leaked tapes

Colin Gleeson

Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 01:00
First published: Mon, Jul 1, 2013, 01:00

Management at Anglo Irish Bank were “stunned” when the then government issued the blanket bank guarantee of all its liabilities – rather than just protecting its depositors, former chief executive David Drumm has claimed.

Mr Drumm said the bank was not represented at the meeting in Government Buildings on the night of September 28th, 2008 – but insisted it had not asked the government, the Central Bank or the Financial Regulator to issue the guarantee.

“At no time did Anglo Irish Bank request the Central Bank or the Financial Regulator to ask the government to issue a blanket bank guarantee of all Irish banks’ liabilities,” he said in an interview with the Sunday Business Post.

“Anglo’s request was for a secured loan facility of €7 billion. The bank was elated with the news because it was believed that the bank had been saved.

“However, many in the bank were stunned that the government would take what some described at the time as the ‘nuclear option’ of guaranteeing all of the banks’ liabilities instead of just protecting depositors.”

Mr Drumm claims this decision was made “in secret caucus” by the government and was “the root cause” of the crippling liabilities that had been placed upon the shoulders of Irish taxpayers.

Anglo was solvent
The former chief executive also claims Anglo was solvent at the time they asked for liquidity assistance and that management was unaware the bank was about to go bust or that they would need funds beyond the €7 billion they were asking for.

“There was no attempt whatsoever to conceal the extent of the cash flow problems from the Central Bank and the regulator,” he said.

“On the contrary, they were all too intimately aware of just how critical things were.

“The bank’s solvency was not an issue at this time. Rather there was extreme strain on liquidity.

“While I am aware there is much debate on the issues of ‘solvency’ as opposed to ‘liquidity’ during this period, I can only deal with what was happening at that precise time, and these issues were at that time entirely separate.”

Mr Drumm also took the opportunity to apologise for the tone and language used on the tapes.

“I accept that the tone and language used in the tapes is inappropriate and I fully understand why the excerpts published have offended many people,” he said.

“Listening to a recording made almost five years ago at a highly stressful and volatile uncertain time is both embarrassing and a shocking reminder of how much pressure my colleagues and I were under at that time.

“However, there is no excuse for the terrible language or the frivolous tone and I sincerely regret the offence it has caused .”

De Sunday Papers | Broadsheet.ie
sundayindo-e1372549059382.jpg

sindo21-e1372546626165.jpg

Listen to clip on Breakingnews.ie here

Meanwhile

In The Sunday Business Post tomorrow, we have an exclusive interview with David Drumm, former chief executive of Anglo Irish Bank.

— Sunday Business Post (@sundaybusiness) June 29, 2013
MoSDrumm.jpg

The No Pride March | Broadsheet.ie
The No Pride March
2:14 pm June 29, 2013 Bodger

anglo7.jpg

gpo.jpg

march1.jpg

march.jpg

90305881.jpg

A march from the GPO, O’Connell Street, Dublin to the dail this lunchtime to express anger and dismay at the Anglo Tapes revelations.

Pics John Gallen (last pic: Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland)

Meanwhile, in Galway
galway1.jpg

Lunchtime.

Thanks K

Poster by Brian Logue via Fiachra Lennon

De Monday Papers | Broadsheet.ie

Volver