Binance delays Symbol airdrop claims by one month

Participants received SYM tokens after the March 12 snapshot, but Binance delayed withdrawals for a month despite positive final balances.

English · Original discussion in Spanish · Published

Binance delays Symbol airdrop claims by one month
Binance delays Symbol airdrop claims by one month

The premise was simple: every XEM in a wallet would convert to a SYM token trinc the March 12 snapshot. Holders stood to double their position, while early sellers missed out. The strategy emerged when XEM traded between 1,100 and 1,200 sats, with the psychological barrier of 1,500 sats seen as the starting gun. However, the market turned sour before it began; Bitcoin plummeted, dragging the entire crypto sector down. "Mama Bitcoin isn't helping," summarized the initial sentiment. Despite this, the promise of the airdrop kept many participants holding.

What is the Symbol snapshot and why does it matter?

The mechanism worked like this: for each XEM token held in a wallet or exchange account, users would receive a SYM token from the new Symbol platform, which was presented as nearly ready for launch. The operation had a specific cutoff date: March 12, around 5 AM, marking the time of the snapshot. From that point on, individuals decided whether to hold positions or trade the already "recorded" XEM.

A logical question arose quickly: if I sell my XEM after the snapshot, do I still get the SYM? The circulating answer was yes, since the snapshot had already been taken, and subsequent actions were considered normal operations. With the usual caveat: confirm details with your exchange before moving any funds.

Binance promised XYM but delayed withdrawals for a month

This is where the ordeal began. Binance announced the opening for XYM withdrawals. Then postponed it. And postponed it again. Just when the day seemed imminent, another week of waiting appeared. "After postponing the supposed withdrawal window for XYM from Binance twice, I came today to withdraw and it says until the 29th, another week," summarized one participant. Another directly called it a "joke."

When withdrawals were finally enabled, issues persisted. Transfers failed despite correct keys, strange messages appeared during confirmation, and XYM tokens vanished into limbo between exchanges. "I managed to withdraw from Binance to KuCoin. Curiously, they don't appear in my KuCoin wallet yet," said someone who had completed the process.

The airdrop arrived and the balance was positive

Despite operational chaos, the economic result was profitable. Those who held until the end received their XYM in the same quantity as their XEM holdings, plus appreciation since the split. "Today I have XYM in my Binance account. The same number of coins I have in XEM are now in XYM with corresponding gains," confirmed a participant who admitted doubting the process along the way.

XYM started trading around $0.50, while XEM hovered at $0.38. The combined value of both positions left a clearly positive balance for those who didn't move. Acknowledgment of the initial strategy was explicit: "a pleasure, sir."

What to do now with XEM and XYM: the unresolved dilemma

With the airdrop claimed, the question shifted form. Hold XEM, hold XYM, sell everything, or sell half? Answers varied. Some opted to exit completely: "A few days ago I exited NEM, selling all XEM and XYM. I consider the operation amortized; it went very well." Others decided to hold: "Honestly, I haven't sold anything. For now, I think I'll keep them."

The original strategy itself admitted doubts about XEM's future: "I'm not clear on what to do with my XEMs. I need to check if there's a clear roadmap for NEM or if they will focus solely on Symbol." Uncertainty over whether NEM would continue developing or remain a legacy project tied to Symbol floated unanswered.



With XYM trading and XEM holding steady, the balance for those who survived the snapshot wait is positive. What no one knows is whether the next move is to hold, rotate, or exit. The operation succeeded. The aftermath remains an open question that even the most optimistic outlook dares not close.

Also available in: Deutsch

Summary of a discussion on Burbuja.info - Foro de economía, actualidad y política., translated from Spanish and reviewed before publication. Read the full discussion (119 replies).

More summaries

All summaries in English →

-
Back